Thursday, November 1, 2012

Oreo Brownies (01Nov-12)

I get the urge to bake at least once a week, or rather, the urge to pop something into the oven :P.. and this week happen to be "brownie week" for me ^^
 
I am not exactly a fan of Oreos. Find them tad too sweet. But the kiddos love them.
I baked them some oreo cupcakes last month but I was not happy with how it turned out *sighz :(
Wanted to try another oreo cupcake recipe but since I had a tub of ice cream in the fridge, thought some brownies will be nice.
Googled and found a few brownie recipes. There was one with really nice photos but rather skeptical recipe. And I happen to have all the ingredients in the kitchen, so.. why not give it a shot? :)
 
I didn't have the patience to let it cool entirely and I just had to pinch a little to try. It was still slightly warm (which is how brownie should be eaten, eh?) when I popped that morsel into my mouth.. my eyes widened. It was soooo goooooooood. It was fudgy, warm, with bits of crunchy oreo and a crispy crust.
The taste was really unique that I can't find the right words to describe them ^^


These brownies taste just as good on its own without the ice cream. I tried a piece just right out of fridge, the firmer texture was nice. But I think I still prefer my brownies warmed up with a cup of coffee at the side... drool. And the next batch, I shall opt out the oreos & maybe add in some walnuts.

I have tweaked the recipe: adding grounded coffee, using Hershey's mini choc chips, lesser sugar and an extra egg (since the egg I used was local size and smaller I guess).

OREO BROWNIES
(recipe adapted from sugarandsnapshots)

Yield: 16 brownies in a 8x8x3-inch (20cm) square pan
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes

Ingredients

    165g unsalted butter1 tsp of grounded coffee or expresso (coffee is supposed to enhance the flavor of chocolate but I can't comment since I have not baked another without coffee powder.)
    200g Hershey's semi-sweet mini choc chip
    5 eggs
    145g light brown sugar (U may use a little more if u are just baking brownies without the oreos)
    3 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    A pinch of salt
    16 Oreo cookies, broken into pieces

Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to about 350°F (180°C). Line an 8x8x3-inch (20cm) baking pan with baking paper with the paper overlapping the sides (this will make them easier to lift out of the pan after baking.
  2. Melt your butter in a pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips & grounded coffee, stir until smooth and well combined.
  3. Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl until they triple in volume. Add half the brown sugar around the outer edge of the eggs in the bowl (so you don’t knock the air out of the mix) and whisk until incorporated. Add the remaining sugar again around the edge, and whisk again for a few minutes until the mix is smooth and you can’t feel any sugar crystals in between your fingers. Whisk the melted chocolate into the eggs quickly to incorporate it.
  4. Add the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, salt and a third of the broken up Oreos) around the edge of the bowl and fold in until combined, taking care not to knock the air out. Pour the mix into the paper-lined baking pan. Scatter the remaining chunks of Oreo cookies over the top of the mixture, pressing some into the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the middle is only slightly gooey.
  5. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely. When cooled, lift the baking paper and brownies out of the pan and set on a cutting board. Cut into 2×2-inch squares (in half and then half again, both ways). Makes 16 Oreo brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment